Before reading this article, you must be know about full detail of ROM (Read Only Memory), so read this article..
Here, we will spread light on the some aspects of ROM such as – function, working, uses and applications of ROM.
Function of ROM
ROM contains BIOS (Basic Input/output System), and it is also known as “Boot Loader”. When, you to get start up your PC then boot loader program is loaded into RAM, and it controls all activates of your Computer system.
Due to two reasons, we use the Read Only Memory (ROM) for certain functions with your computer system
Long life Data – All data and programs are stored permanently in the ROM, whether power is getting on or off position. We can remove ROM any time from your computer, and stored it for long time, and it can be replaced but your data doesn’t discard still be there.
Protection – We know that ROM memory does not allow modifying and rewrite data, so it delivers to measure of protection against accidental alter to its data. You are not able to trace viruses infected ROMs. So, it is more protective memory then RAM (Random Access Memory).
Working of ROM
ROM likes as chip that consist a grid shape of columns and rows. In RAM, to use several transistors for getting turn on otherwise off access to capacitor on every intersection point. But, ROM doesn’t use transistor because in which to integrate different diodes for making connection with many lines when its value has 1. If, it contains the value 0, then all lines not getting connections at all.
Diode delivers current to flow in one side direction, and it consists specific threshold, it is called the “Forward Break over”, which check out how much current is needed before diode will pass it on. Processors and memory chips contain the forward break over voltage up to 0.6 volts.
In ROM, all necessary data and programs are stored when it is created. You have not any right to update, alter or delete of installed programs and data. If, data is not correct that is stored in the ROM memory, then you have only one option that is throw it and begin to new ROM.
Uses and Applications of ROM
- Due to its permanent data storage nature, ROM is used in different types of embedded system because in embedded system, does not require changing data.
- ROM is also used into some electronics devices like feature phones like Nokia 3310, small Handy Games, VCR, DVD, Digital Watches, and more.
- ROM can be used into home appliances such as TV, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, and more.
- It can be used into automobile, where to need data always, so that data is saved into chip.
- It is used into other devices such as calculator, printer, plotter, FAX machine etc.
- ROM is also used into automation toys such as singing fish toy. In this toy, to store preplanned program when you push its buttons then to generate music.